Ava had a great night's sleep and didn't wake up until 6:50 which is a record sleep for her...just over twelve hours! I thought that we would have a fabulous day due to the enormous amount of sleep and we mostly did have a great day.
It is funny how one or two not-so-great things can mar the whole day! Ava was in a great mood, very patient and she even had a fairly decent hour long nap this morning. We headed off for a little change of pace to the baby drop-in and she fell asleep on the way home. She slept for about 40 minutes in her car seat and when she woke up I gave her a feed and tried to coax her into having a better nap in her crib. That was a total waste of time. Then I thought she might sleep if I laid down with her in our bed. Another excercise in frustration. As she was reaching out to touch my face, she scratched my eyelid and it hurt VERY much. I then had to count to ten to keep my cool and keep myself from just putting her in her crib and leaving the room! Of course she was crying and wiggling around all over the place, fighting any thoughts of sleeping. After forty minutes of getting no where except more upset, we both went downstairs to play a bit before Ava's suppertime.
Once we got downstairs, she was happy as a clam. She was playing on her own in the excersaucer, giving me smiles and gurgling away. After she ate supper we played a bit more and then I thought I would get her ready for bed seeing as how she didn't really have an afternoon nap. She got into her pajamas and was in a good mood, nursed fine and fell asleep before I put her down in her crib. Then the crying started. She cried for 20 minutes straight before I went up to console her a bit. Of course as soon as I picked her she instantly stopped crying and pretty much fell asleep on my shoulder. I laid her back down in bed after a few minutes and she started crying again for a few minutes. She then continued to cry off and on until almost twenty to eight. It was very hard to hear her fussing and crying even though I knew nothing was wrong and that she just wanted someone with her.
I sincerely hope that she goes down without any problems the next few days and over the weekend as we are heading to Fargo for a mini-vacation with another couple and their little girl. She usually does go to sleep without any issues other than the occassional glitch. :>
I was feeling fairly depressed over the day, but when I went in to Ava's room to check on her (after she was finally asleep) and she made all these cute little sleeping noises, I was feeling 100% better...after all, being a mom isn't all rainbows and lollipops but there sure are some wonderful moments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maybe it was just a "reset" day... She sure is showing her Savard/Gauthier determination, that's for sure!
I hope you had a good night and that today goes better!
I don't know if it is her Savard side. The Greiss side is sure stubborn. I know exactly how you feel though Angel having put many little tykes down for naps and having them do various things that will frustrate you. I had one girl who liked to make sort of a whine/cry noise which immediately put my back up. I'm sure she will start to settle well for you. I think she is just testing to make sure you are there. Try to just pick her up for a second every 10mins and tell her it is time for bed. After a while she will get the hint that you are not going anywhere. The Baby Whisper is a great book for sleep problems and I had lots of success with the Ferber method. But most will just say that schedule and routine is key.
Hi Angel,
I can understand your frustration! I had a hard time with Matthew and his naps when he was younger. I agree with Monique on routine being key. I just kept putting him to bed at the same times to try to get a routine going - sometimes he wouldn't sleep at all and other days it would be lights out with no problem. Today, he's pretty much on schedule but still has his days!
Post a Comment