Sunday, December 7, 2008

Long Night

Last night was Marc's staff Christmas party. It was only a few blocks from our house, so my original plan was to get Ava settled and in bed before I left to join him. I called Marc's parents to let them know to just come in the house without ringing the doorbell as I would be unpstairs with Ava.

It was just around 1900 when Marc's mom came into Ava's room. She wanted to take over settling her for bed which I feared would be more difficult than usual as she was giving me a hard time. Against my instinct, I handed Ava over and headed out the door to join the party. After an enjoyable evening playing fun casino games and chatting with friends I hadn't seen in a while (as well as ones I had) and not receiving any phone calls from home, we cleaned up the hall, threw out the garbage and loaded up all of the things we needed to return. We got home just before 1:00 and found out the bad news - Ava was still awake!! Apparently she did settle and fall asleep around 2000 but woke back up at 2200 and stayed that way with only little catnaps until we got home.

I was a little frustrated that she wasn't in bed as I knew that regardless of when she would fall asleep, she wouldn't sleep in the next morning. After settling her in her crib and struggling through her crying for twenty minutes or so, she finally fell asleep at 2:30. I also promptly fell asleep and woke up at 7:45 to Ava's babbling. She did have two naps during the day, but the best part of the day was when she settled for bed without a whimper and has stayed that way for over two hours now! I knew she was extremely tired, so I'm thrilled she didn't fight the sleep. I'm hoping for a late morning tomorrow!!

Tomorrow Ava and I are on our own as Marc has a professional development day, so we might hit the stores and do some shopping. We still haven't put up our Christmas tree due to the fact that Marc and I were both dragging a little today, so hopefully we can get it up and lit tomorrow night after Ava's in bed.

No comments: