Friday, April 10, 2009

Another Birthday Celebration

On Sunday is Alix's fourteenth birthday! Grandmaman and Grandpapa were kind enough to host his birthday party at their house along with Easter dinner, but since Marc is working and wouldn't be joining us until after his shift was over we decided to to take Alix out for his birthday on Thursday night to spend some quality time with him, as Sunday would be rushed.

We picked up the boys and Alix wanted to go to Applebee's. We headed over there and were quickly seated and ordered. Then we gave Alix his gift. To tell the truth, I think I was more excited about giving him his gift than he was to open it initially! Marc and I thought long and hard about what to get him. He's too old for "toys" now, and clothes are kind of impersonal. Finally, we decided to get him something he's wanted for at least two years now...

Alix opened his gifts in numbered order. First, Madden NFL 2008 for PlayStation 2. He liked it, and then proceeded to open his second wrapped package. He quickly unveiled gifts cards to purchase iTunes. He was excited, but then asked, "Wait. What are these for again?" We told him to open his last present. Lo and behold, an ipod nano was looking up at him! Alix quickly jumped up and gave us big hugs along with multiple thank yous. He was very happy with his new gifts, which made us feel good that we had gotten him something he really wanted.

After a yummy supper, the boys asked if they could sleep over at our house, so we headed home and relaxed. The boys played Madden while Marc and I gave Ava a bath and watched some TV (the premier of Southland and CSI). Today was much the same, just a relaxing day, lolling around and I got to sleep in, thanks to Marc!! (Thanks honey!)

I am quickly coming to the realization though, that this is my last weekend of maternity leave. I'm technically supposed to be back at work on Tuesday, but since I had some time that I had banked from last year, I decided to use them up and start work on the 20th. I'm excited in one way, because it will be nice to get back to doing something new and thinking in a different way. On the other hand, I am very sad that I will not be able to spend as much time with my little girl as I would like to. Ideally, working part-time with a full-time salary would be the way to go! ;>

Over the past week, I've transitioned Ava to whole milk with breast milk in the morning and before bed, but with a bottle. She has no problem drinking the milk at all, except she wants it in a bottle and warmed up a bit. Oh well! One thing at a time, right? She will drink water from a sippy cup, but not her milk. Odd. My goal was to have her drinking milk before heading over to the sitter's so that it was one less thing for her to be without. So far, so good!

No comments: